Go Back   Harley-Davidson Forum > Questions & Answers > Performance

Notices

Performance Performance related posts.

103 stage 3 kit
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
hoot

Default 103 stage 3 kit

Hi Mike

I am considering the Screaming eagle 103 stage 3 kit (p/n 27513-08 list $1499) for my 2008 Softail Custom. I already have sert, k&n Hi Flow, and SE Street Performanc slipons.

Obviously I'm looking for more power, but I need a smooth cruise and low heat as I ride about 14,000 miles/year and often 500+ mile days, so i wish to stay with the quieter exhaust.

Do you think this kit would be good choice for me, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Also what range can I expect for installation costs of this kit or similar components?

Thanks for all your help

Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Guess what? H-D finally realized that the 251's with a little compression (10.25) makes for a really good package. We've been doing similar packages for 95's and 103 for years now (our famous "Boss 251" kits). You'll see a seperate dyno chart folder on these in our library. So, obviously, I think this is a VERY good package and will meet you goals with the components already installed.

Since you already have SERT and the air cleaner kit, you could save some money by purchasing just the cylinders, pushrods, clutch spring, cams, gaskets, spring kit and pistons. The spring kit may not be needed if you do not routinely rev the motor past 6000, but would be good to have for comforts sake. Last, to save even more, you could have your cylinders bored rather than buy new but this typically take two weeks to have done. Boring your cylinders, running stock valve springs and purchasing the parts seperately would save $540.00 vs complete kit price. For those who have completely stock bikes without SERT, the kit price is the way to go.

You'll need primary cover gaskets and fluids for the clutch spring install. You may also want to change motor oil and filter along with the kit install. If your bike has more than 7000 miles, I would strongly suggest new tappets and chains so these parts start life new with the cams. You may also need different cam spacing washers, this is rare but shoud be checked during install. You'll also need the cam retention kit if you do not buy the chain kit (included in the chain "primary drive kit" 25585-06). Last, you may want a dyno tune/custom mapping (we charge $437.50), even though a "canned" sert map may be available, to address your concerns regarding heat. Add approx $850.00 for the above.

We get 13 hours to install this kit, including the valve and clutch springs. Dyno mapping is seperate. The total parts and labor, through us, should be approx $3600.00. Our winter "makeover sale, spin the wheel of fortune" is now in play and this would result in a 5%+ discount including FREE parts and labor, depending on where the wheel stops.

Checkout our huge inventory of Harley-Davidson Parts, Clothing and accessories.
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...-Parts-22.html

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 PM
hoot

Thanks, Mike

Now the only thing that concerns me about this build is the anguish of waiting for the rain to subside. lol